2022-2023 ESSER III/School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
2022-2023 ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
Laurel Ridge Elementary School
Megan Counts, Principal
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
English Language Arts
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Strategy 1: Teams will utilize the Collaborative Learning Team cycle to plan and deliver explicit phonics instruction.
- Strategy 2: Teams will utilize workshop structures to target small group instruction and intervention, to increase student proficiency in reading, while engaging with culturally responsive texts.
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- Strategy 1: Teams will utilize the AVMR through the CLT cycle.
- Strategy 2: Teams will utilize math workshop structures to target small group instruction and intervention, to increase student proficiency in math.
Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Strategy 1: Teachers will access and implement available resources to help students self-regulate.
- Strategy 2: Students will participate in explicit instruction/activities targeting emotional self-regulation throughout the day.
- Strategy 3: All staff will implement school-wide behavior management systems including student acknowledgement and behavior modification procedures.
Portrait of a Graduate (POG)
All students will complete a POG Presentation of Learning (POL) by 2025-2026.
- Strategy 1: The school will build on understanding with students, staff, and the community about how POG attributes and skills positively impact students within and beyond school.
- Strategy 2: The school will continue to grow as a safe and positive learning community.
- Strategy 3: The Communicator attribute will be highlighted and reinforced throughout the school day.